This is a Special Appointment position and serves at the pleasure of the appointing authority.
Responsibilities: This position serves as a member of the Information Technology unit at the Governor’s Office for Children (GOC) reports to the Chief Information Officer (CIO). The IT Lead Database Developer position is responsible for leading the designing, developing, testing and administering database applications as well as administering and maintaining database integrity while serving as the knowledge expert for system applications. The position requires effective communication with all user levels for requirements gathering and analysis, application design, programming, implementation, and maintenance with strong programming and analytical background.
• Provide mentoring to those with less knowledge of database applications.
• Knowledge of network configuration, programming, and protocols.
• Ability to diagnose and resolve software/hardware interface problems, data requirements, and access methods.
• Ability to establish and execute data security standards and procedures and disaster recovery plans.
• Ability to provide database support in a multiple hardware platform and operating system environment.
• Ability to serve in a lead capacity providing guidance and direction over a work group or project team.
• Demonstrated data administration experience.
• Responsible for mission critical systems.
• Design project scope, dataflow diagrams, entity-relationship diagrams.
• Identify project objectives, system scope, timelines and resources required for new/existing applications and perform quality assurance reviews for assigned projects.
• Expand or modify system to serve new purposes or improve work flow. Determine computer software or hardware needed to set up or alter system. Model data flows, process flows, and system-to-system boundaries.
• Conduct requirements gathering sessions with users write functional and technical specifications including detailed data-level requirements, specifications and system requirements from which programs will be written.
• Provide training, implementation and consulting strategies for our valued clients. Establish training programs to train staff and users to work with computer systems and programs.
• Troubleshoot system issues and help deliver solutions to resolve both system and operational roadblocks.
• Work with software developers and executive team to enhance existing software platform and direct business development for new and existing software technology.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelors degree (Masters preferred) from an accredited college or university in information technology, computer science or equivalent field of study with work experience in the IT field.
• At least 5 years appropriate progressively responsible supervisor related experience in information technology, systems, strategic planning and project management, or any equivalent combination of education, experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Have related experience and demonstrated skills in prior assignments.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the demonstrated ability to effectively present oral and written information and accurately respond to questions individually and in a group setting. Able to communicate with user community to translate business requirements into systems/application documents and solutions. Considerable knowledge of strategic planning and systems and project management with the ability to facilitate teams and to lead decision-making processes in a collaborative environment.
• Self-motivated with strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize to effectively manage workload with minimal direct supervision. Must exercise considerable initiative, planning, judgment and ability to work independently
• Minimum 3 years experience with .Net Technologies and Framework, MS SQL database technologies, MS-SQL/T-SQL, Crystal Reports, MS Access VBA, and stored procedures. Possession of a valid Maryland driver license with the ability to travel in state with occasional overnight travel.
Salary Range: $56,496 - $76,513 (Salary Grade 21), commensurate with experience.
This is a full-time merit position with benefits.
Closing Date: Recruitment for this position is open until filled.
Procedure for Application: Mail, fax, or email a cover letter indicating position applied for and resume (including salary history and current salary requirements) to:
Libby Tressler, Human Resources Coordinator
Governor’s Office for Children
301 W. Preston Street, 15th floor
Baltimore, MD 21201
DO NOT include a State of Maryland MS-100. Only applicants selected for interview will be contacted.