News and Upcoming Events for State Employees
Just Serve - Four Hours of Admin Leave will be granted to MD State Employees to participate - Click for details
The “Just Serve” Initiative
“Just Serve,” formerly called “Day to Serve,” is an annual initiative that promotes volunteerism and encourages service in our communities. Maryland participates with Virginia, West Virginia, and Washington D.C.
This year, Just Serve runs from Sept. 11 until Oct. 10, 2022.
The initiative is affiliated with justserve.org. Justserve.org is where volunteer organizations may post information about their need for help and volunteers may search for places to serve in the community.
2022 Just Serve Information For Maryland State Employees
This year, four hours of administrative leave will be granted to Maryland state employees to participate in Just Serve. Time can either be cumulative or consecutive, but must first be approved by your supervisor and must be reported through the Governor’s Office of Community Initiatives Just Serve registration portal.
Any volunteer activity done outside of work hours will not be eligible for leave. Administrative leave applies to regular work hours. Comp hours will not be provided for volunteering outside of normal work hours.
Some Maryland state employees are ineligible to participate, including contractual employees. For more information about ineligible employees, visit here.
Taking and Submitting Leave to Volunteer in Just Serve
- Find an event. (To check if an organization is a registered 501(c)(3) visit the IRS Tax Exempt Organization Search)
- Check with your supervisor to ensure you can take time off on the date of your service.
- Complete the State Employees Day to Serve Agreement and Day to Serve Verification Form and email to your supervisor.
- Fill out your name, agency and activity here to register your hours.
- Each agency will grant up to four hours of Paid Administrative Leave for employees that submit verification forms (indicated above). If you use Workday for timekeeping, use “Paid Administrative Leave” as your Time Off Type and “Just Serve” as your Time Off Reason. Paid Administrative Leave can only be used when it is granted by the agency timekeeper. If your agency uses a different timekeeping system, please contact your HR Department for more information.
9/8/2022 11:42 AM|